1.The musical comedy Oklahoma did much to expand the potential of the musical stage, and it encouraged others to attempt……
A. original themes
B. to original themes
C. that were original themes
D. how original themes
2.Despite its fishlike form, the whale is……and will drown if submerged too long.
A. an animal breathes air that
B. an animal that breathes air
C. an animal breathes air
D. that an animal breathes air
3.The saguaro ,found in desert regions in the southwestern United States ,……cactus in the world.
A. is the largest
B. the largest
C. that is the largest
E. the largest that is a
4. It is said that United Stales literature ____________ individuality and identity in the twentieth century, after long imitation of European models.
A. was achieved
C. to achieve
5. Lucy Stone, ____________ first feminists in the United States, helped organize the American Woman Suffrage Association in 1869.
A. the one
B. who was the
D. one of the
6. _______, including climate, mineral content, and the permanency of surface water, wetlands may be mossy ,grassy , scrubby, or wooded.
A. Depending on many factors
B. Many factors depending on
C. Factors depending on many
D. On many factors depending
7. Duke Ellington’s orchestra, _______ his own often complex compositions, made many innovations in jazz.
A. he played
C. that it played
D. was playing
8. The term “ice age” refers to any of several periods of time when glaciers covered considerably more of Earth’s surface _______.
A. as is today
B. than today is
C. than they do today
D. that today
9. From colonial times ,United States property owners agreed to tax themselves on the theory……directly from services that the government could provide.
A. property owners benefited so that
B. why property owners benefited
C. that if property owners benefited
D. that property owners benefited
10. Helium is not flammable and, next to hydrogen, is……
A. known the lightest gas
B. lightest the known gas
C. the lightest gas known
D. the known gas lightest
11. Wild eagles that survive to adulthood are believed……from 20 to 30 years.
B. to live
C. they live
D. their living
12. Portland, ……, is located primarily on two hilly peninsulas overlooking Casco Bay and its many island.
A.which Maine’s largest city
B. Maine’s largest city where
C. is Maine’s largest city
D. Maine’s largest city
13. ……widely used in the chemical industry, sodium carbonate is principally consumed by the glass industry.
D. Except for
14. Cells, first identified by the early microscopists, began to be considered …… in the nineteenth century.
A. them as microcosm of living organisms
B. the microcosm of living organisms
C. the microcosm of living organisms to be
D. as which ,the microcosm of living organisms
15. Like Jupiter, Saturn is a large, gaseous planet composed……of hydrogen and helium.
A. it is mostly
D. both are almost