Skill 2: Pilihlah jawaban dengan synonym
Sebelum mulai mempelajari materi ini, pastikan sudah menyimak materi sebelumnya:
Seringkali jawaban yang benar pada Listening Part A merupakan jawaban yang berisikan sinonim (persamaan kata yang mempunyai cara pengucapan berbeda) dengan kata-kata kunci dari percakapan.
Di rekaman, kamu mendengar:
(woman) Why is Barbara feeling so happy?
(man) She just started working in a real estate agency.
(narrator) What does the man say about Barbara?
Di buku tes, kamu membaca:
(A) She always liked her work in real estate.
(B) She began a new job.
(C) She just bought some real estate.
(D) She bought a real estate agency.
- Jawaban: (B) She began a new job. (Dia mulai pekerjaan baru)
- She just started working in a real estate agency. (Dia baru saja mulai bekerja di agen real estate.)
Strategi menghadapi Listening Part A (Skill 2):
- Ketika sedang mendengar baris ke dua dari percakapan, fokuslah pada kata-kata kunci pada baris tersebut.
- Jika melihat ada bentuk sinonim di pilihan jawaban yang semakna dengan kata kunci baris ke dua, kemungkinan besar itulah jawabannya.
Latihan soal dengan transcript
Latihan di bawah ini, kamu harus fokus pada baris ke dua, baca pertanyaannya, dan pilih jawaban terbaik. Fokus pada sinonim yang digunakan.
(woman) Did you see the manager about the job in the bookstore?
(man) Yes, and I also had to fill out an application.
(narrator) What does the man mean?
(A) He got a job as a bookstore manager.
(B) The bookstore was not accepting applications.
(C) He saw a book about how to apply for jobs.
(D) It was necessary to complete a form.
(man) We’re planning to leave for the trip at about 2:00.
(woman) Couldn’t we leave before noon?
(narrator) What does the woman ask?
(A) If they could leave at noon.
(B) If it is possible to go by 12:00.
(C) Why they can’t leave at noon.
(D) If they could leave the room.
(man) Was the concert well received?
(woman) The audience applauded for a long time after the performance.
(narrator) What does the woman say about the concert?
(A) The performance went on for a long time.
(B) There was applause throughout the performance.
(C) The people clapped on and on after the concert.
(D) The audience waited for a long time for the concert to begin.
- (D) It was necessary to complete a form. (Perlu mengisi sebuah formulir.)
Yes, and I also had to fill out an application. (Ya, dan saya harus megisi sebuah aplikasi/formulir.)
- (B) If it is possible to go by 12:00. (Jika memungkinkan pergi menjelang/sebelum jam 12.00.)
– Couldn’t we leave before noon? (Tidak bisakah kita pergi sebelum jam 12.00?)
– Noon = 12.00
- (C) The people clapped on and on after the concert. (Orang-orang tepuk tangan terus-terusan setelah konser.)
The audience applauded for a long time after the performance. (Para penonton tepuk tangan lama setelah penampilan.)
TOEFL EXERCISE (MP3)
Pada latihan ini dengarkanlah dengan seksama percakapan pendek beserta pertanyaan pada rekaman, dan pilihlah jawaban yang paling tepat. Carilah sinonim-sinonim di pilihan jawaban yang semakna dengan apa yang disampaikan di pada baris ke dua percakapan (pembicara ke dua).
1. (A) The final exam was harder than the others. (B) There were two exams rather than one. (C) He thought the exam would be easier. (D) The exam was not very difficult. 2. (A) He’s not feeling very well. (B) He’s rather sick of working. (C) He’s feeling better today than yesterday. (D) He’d really rather not answer the question. 3. (A) The company was founded about a year ago. (B) It was just established that he could go into business. (C) The family is well-established. (D) The business only lasted a year. 4. (A) He did not look at the right schedule. (B) The plane landed in the right place. (C) The plane arrived on time. (D) He had to wait for the plane to land. 5. (A) She’d rather go running. (B) She doesn’t want to go into the pool. (C) She’ll change clothes quickly and go swimming. (D) She needs a sweat suit to go running. 6. (A) The firefighters saved the homes for last. (B) A firefighter saved the hillside last night. (C) The homes on the hillside were burned. (D) The houses weren’t destroyed. 7. (A) There’s enough soup. (B) The spices are adequate. (C) She thinks the soup’s too salty. (D) The man should add more salt and pepper. 8. (A) He was lucky to receive a grant for his studies. (B) He used his fortune to pay his fees. (C) He is a scholar at a college with low fees. (D) He paid to get a scholarship. 9. (A) It profited from previous mistakes. (B) It earned a lot of money. (C) This was the last year that it would make a profit. (D) It was not so successful. 10. (A) Chuck’s bank account has too much money in it. (B) He thinks Chuck has the wrong kind of bank account. (C) He thinks that Chuck is on his way home from the bank. (D) There isn’t enough money in Chuck’s account.
Untuk transkrip dan kunci jawaban, silahkan ke page ke 2
The post Belajar listening TOEFL: Choose answers with synonyms appeared first on Edinmelb Blog.